Monday, February 4, 2008

old maid?!

Some friends of mine have made mental preparation that they MIGHT end up as an old maid. They have resignedly accepted the fact that there is a possibility that they may never find their destined Prince Charming and thus will have to lead a solitary life. I've never really gave much thought about this though, because I've always known that I wouldn't mind going on matchmaking dates should the time arise when my mum is desperate for her 30-something year old daughter to settle down. You know, when you've reached that certain age when you're just too weary of spending the nights alone hugging your bolster to sleep, you'd naturally settle for someone who may not be quite suited to your taste buds.

For me, being solitary was never a problem. I have no qualms about eating alone, shopping alone, watching a movie alone. Sometimes I even take the trouble to have some time alone to maintain my sanity. I'm not a "crowd" person. I despise bodies pressing against each other like a pack of sardines, i despise sweaty underarms in the LRT, I despise ear-shattering shrieks of " Merdeka!" or "Happy New Year" or "Merry Christmas!". I just don't like crowded public places. Thus, solitaire was never a problem. Up till now.

I've actually started thinking of what it would be like to be an old maid. I know for sure now that I cant bear to settle down with someone unsuitable just for the sake of settling down. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Gosh, that would mean that, if I dont find the man of my dreams, I can start saving for a place at the old folks' home in the future. gasp.