Saturday, November 3, 2007

Forgetting

If you mentally block something from your mind, does it go away? Whenever the issue pops into your mind, and you deliberately switch your attention to other areas, then does it disappear for good? If you pretend it never happened, can you one day bring yourself to believe that it never occurred in the first place?
I've been practicing this for the past few days. Once there is a teeny weeny sign of that particular problem occurring, I focus on other things or bury myself in novels and television programmes. I don't want to think about it, at all. It's devastating to know that something which you never dreamed would occur HAS happened. The feeling of helplessness and disbelief is eating me up inside. It's the exact same feeling which I would expect some one to feel when they find out that their husband has been having an affair, and with no one else but her very best friend. Or the kind of sorrow when the CEO finds out that the traitor of the company was his right-hand man. Or the kind of disbelief when you get rejected by the ugliest person in the world.
I feel shitty now, really I do. There's nothing much I can do, but I'm not going down without putting up a fight first. It's affecting me badly that I bought a pair of shoes which I didn't particularly want or need; I just bought it because shopping made me feel better. Shopping can be addictive; it can be a therapy. Weird but true.
Hopefully a change will come soon. If not, I have no choice but to move on. And that feels even more shittier - if there is such a word.