Monday, September 17, 2007

Dramas

Slept at 5am this morning. Damn I loathe late nights. Even though you sleep up to 9 or 10 hours, you still feel shitty when you wake up. My chest feels kind of weak, and my nose is runny, not to mention that my head feels as heavy as having KLCC on top of it.

Anyway, as I couldn't really slip into slumber land, I turned to dramas to kill my time. Was watching 2 Japanese dramas - 14 year old mother and you're my pet. The first one was saddening; you see how a carefree 14 year old gets knocked up by chance, and ends up bearing the burden of having a child at the tender age of 14. Was crying rivers in the first few episodes, especially the parts where her parents found out and had a hard time taking in the truth. All the time I was wondering: how would MY parents react if that happened to me? And how would I myself react if that happened to my daughter? A girl, no more than a child herself, having a baby. You know how it is with the society. Jeers and disapproval probably kills more teenage mothers than the difficult labour they experience in the operating theater. I have a good mind to introduce this drama to my mother. If it makes me cry rivers, I can predict her gushing oceans.

The next drama was a romantic comedy - Kimi wa Petto. Good, it helped balance my emotions. It tells of a 29 year old elite Tokyo graduate who is so tall and so good at her job that she has trouble warming up to people. She will also settle for no guy who is shorter than her, or has a lower education and income. So she's like the icy queen, 高高在上,男人攀不起。Then one night, she discovers a cardboard boz outside her apartment. Thinking that it was probably an abandoned pet, she opens it and *gasp*! To her horror she finds a young boy, wounded and drenched in the box. She takes him home and cares for him. In the following two months, the 19 year old boy lives with her as her pet -Momo. In truth, he is a dancing prodigy, who has gone against his mother's wish for him to do classical dance. Although each time he does a performance, the crowd goes wild and labels him as their idol; amidst the standing ovation, he is lonely. The same goes for Imaya-san, the lady who takes him in. She has trouble being a normal girlfriend to her senpai, because she is so uptight and tries too hard to be perfect. However, once at home, she and her pet Momo are able to be themselves, with no facades in the way. Slowly, despite having the perfect boyfriend who fulfills all her criteria, she finds herself drawn to this young boy, who is shorter than her, has a lower education level than her, and lives off HER money.

I've always felt queasy about relationships between older women and younger men, especially when the age gap is 10 years here. But then to my surprise this whole drama just kept me feeling really warm and fuzzy inside all the time, and I found myself rooting for this odd couple.
Guess it's because they're so natural together that I can't help but forget the difference.

Sunday morning..Woohoo!

Some scenes from the two dramas taken from the Net:

1) Kimi wa Petto




2) 14 Sai no Haha