Monday, September 17, 2007

I know How It Feels

A friend from another university was telling me a few days back how much she loathed somebody, but unfortunately had to deal with that person each and everyday. That was because that person was within her circle of friends, and thus she could never do anything or go anywhere without the person tagging along. As a result, her dislike for her grew and grew until she wished she'd never known her in the first place.

I've had similar experiences before, disliking someone yet having no way to avoid the person. In the beginning, it just eats you up inside and you just wish and wish you didn't have to see him/her. You just want to turn your back or burrow in some hole until the feeling of anger subsides ( not that it subsides the next day either). If you keep on entertaining those negative feelings, you'd be amazed how miserable it can make life be for you. But then again, we're only human, it's natural to like some people and despise others. I'm no saint; in fact when I'm angry I usually stay in and block the world outside by switching off my cell phone and my computer so that I'm totally alone. Sometimes I go out with some other friends or call up old acquaintances; it helps to know that there are still people whom you care about. At the end of the day, what the person did to you will seem very small, or you just don't bother about it any longer.

It takes time, but trust me, it'll be over sooner than you think, okay?