Monday, September 17, 2007

The search for the One

I'd like to believe in fairy tales; really. When I'm all grown up some Prince Charming will come and sweep me off my feet and carry me to his castle. In real life, that translates into someone

  • rich
  • handsome
  • smart
  • kind
  • tall
  • built
  • sporty
  • humorous
  • musically inclined
  • who loves animals
Sure, when you're in your teens you can daydream all you want. After all, that's what youth is for, for you to be impractical until you have no choice but to grow up. When you reach your twenties ( Gosh I sound so old!), you finally force yourself to face the fact that the bubble has burst. There is no such perfect guy in the world; or even if there is, he wont be after you either. Sad, but true for commoners like me. I'm no diva, no royal princess, no hotel heiress. Thus, the rest of the world and I are stuck with your normal average guys.

As you grow older, in dismay you find that you've got to slash off certain requirements. Okay, maybe being handsome isn't really important. So you settle for "decent looking". Then maybe being multimillionaire rich isn't going to come true either. So "middle class" will do. You probably won't be dating the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, so maybe you don't need someone who's too brainy. After all, he might be stuck up anyway. So just someone with a university education, thank you. Being kind is still rather crucial though. Thus if you see him giving his seat to some pregnant lady, or helping an old man across the street, grab him! Such selfless people are close to extinction, if they aren't already. Tall... I used to wish for someone with 180cm. But since I'm not growing taller already, I can make do with any height in my guy, as long as he is taller than me ( and that isn't hard AT ALL).

As for built, rippling muscles and six-pack abs don't really matter. I'm not going for Mr Universe anyway. Someone lean would be good enough, though the trend nowadays seem to be either skinny or flabby. Never mind, I don't have a killer body anyway. What else? Oh, sporty. Well, that's always one of the main attractions in a guy, right? Guys who play sports just seem cool. But then, sports isn't going to buy you bread and butter, so just take it as a bonus if your guy is a sportsman. Musically inclined...a guy who plays the piano can make me drool on the spot. If a guy plays me a piece on the piano, I might lose all my reservations and propose at once. Haha, but then, asking for that seems a bit too much. So I suppose I don't really give a damn now if he quacks like a duck in the karaoke room. Last but not least, animal lover. This matters a lot to me, for I really want to have pets in the future. How nice would it be if I got some kindred spirit who'd go to zoos with me or perhaps be a volunteer for SPCA or PAWS? No such luck. Alright, as long as he isn't allergic to fur and he really couldn't be bothered if I have a cat or a dog or an iguana at home, I'm all good.

Doesn't it seem simple? Don't be fooled. You'd be surprised to find how someone who manages to fulfill all these requirements still cant manage to capture your heart. That's why we're always looking and looking and looking. But when the time comes and you're weary, you'll just settle for some nice sweet natured guy who happened to be at the right place at the right time. Then you get hitched and that's it.

Reading this back, I find it rather depressing. Please don't take my word for this. Some people may enjoy a wonderful courtship with the person that they are head over heels in love with; not everyone has to wake up to reality. That's just me being cynical again.Hohoho.