Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Future Children

Just back from Advanced Management English test. Ever since primary school till now, English has always been my favourite subject, because there's basically nothing to study for it, and no matter what essay question pops up, I can twist my writing into a convincing article. Too bad the same cant be said for the rest of the subjects that I'm taking this semester.

Anyways, back to the topic of future children. People always say :" I want my children to be better than me." True, parents will always want the best for their offspring. That's why they send them to piano lessons, tuition classes, ballet classes etc. All just to mould their kids into SuperKid with an IQ of 200. But the funny thing is, I don't want my children to be like that.

I want my kids to be average, happy -go -lucky children. Of course I'd like for them to be smart, but I'd prefer if they weren't the top of their classes. Bring home A's on their report cards, peppered with some B's; it's alright. As long as they have fun learning, and they enjoy school, that's good enough. Good looking children would be nice, but no gorgeous kids. Somehow I find that people who are endowed with too much of a good thing never end up being very happy or very successful, whether it is brain or brawn. So I want my children to be satisfied with their looks, and not be overly vain. I'd also like for them to be sporty children, who love getting dirty out in the fields, who go rolling in mud or whatever. I just want them to be free-spirited souls, who know that there is more to life than study and work. Hmm, come to think about it, I'd like if they held jobs as newscasters, journalists, photographers even.

Most of all, I want them to know that being average is not wrong.